Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Without music, there is no life

I never in my life thought that I would ever be too busy to sing. But it has happened.

I sing for about two hours in choir practice every week, sing along to the music in the car every once in a while, and occasionally vocalize the song that's running through my head, but that's about it. I haven't been listening to a lot of music, and most of my time is either spent working or sleeping.

And I can tell. I'm starting to miss music. Not only that, but I've been feeling pretty awful. And usually me feeling awful coincides with a lack of music and a lack of me singing.

And speaking of a lack of me singing, I can hear it in my voice. On the scattered occasions that I have been singing lately, I hear what's been coming out of my mouth and think, "What the heck is that? Sounds pretty rubbishy to me." When they say, "If you don't use it, you lose it," they're right. I am out of practice vocally and I don't like it. Not at all.

I know part of it, maybe even a lot of it, is me being my own worst critic. But I know how well I can do when I'm in the zone, and I am so not in the zone right now so I'm not performing to my greatest potential. That bothers me.

Next week is when I have spring break. I'm planning on staying home and resting. Most of the times I am most at rest are times when I am singing, so part of that staying home and resting is going to consist of me hanging out in my room and singing. Lots of singing. I hope to feel fully rested by the end of the week, and vocally rejuvenated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.