Thursday, February 26, 2009

I got out!

I finished my monster of a paper. It was quite miraculous.

The assignment was essentially three papers in one. Granted, they were three short papers, but I still had to come up with three different ideas, and I was struggling to even find one. I finished the first third yesterday and it took me most of the day. I was happy when I had it done, but I was still concerned because I figured that the part I had finished was going to be the easiest and I knew I had to write the other two harder thirds today, with less available time, and I still had no idea what I was going to do.

I was praying. A lot.

I wrote the second third this afternoon in about 2 and a half hours. That's from the moment I got the idea to the point when I typed the last word. I never write that fast. Ever. For someone who likes to write and does it often, I am a terribly slow writer. I was amazed.

But I still had the last third to do, and I was figuring that it was going to be the hardest.

This evening, after dinner, I sat down and started brainstorming. For quite a while nothing came. If I hadn't have been so focused, my level of concern probably would have started rising. But I was determined. And finally it hit me. From that point, I had it done in two hours. It was obviously not the hardest to write.

With an additional 30 minutes I fixed a few problems, tied-up some loose ends, listed my works cited, etc., and then I was completely done. It was a miracle.

God was helping me. All the praying I had been doing for days paid off. I'm still amazed.

Now with that being said, I'm not exactly sure how worthy of reading the monster is. Just because I came up with ideas doesn't mean that they were good ideas. And just because I got something down on paper doesn't mean that it's any good either. I just asked God to give me something, I didn't say it had to be a good something. Maybe I should have done that. We'll see what my professor has to say. And thankfully, if it's awful, I will have to chance to fix it. She's cool like that.

One thing's for sure, I will never forget The Vagina Monologues. I'm also pretty sure that I've never written the word "vagina" so many times in my life, nor will I probably ever again. You can also bet that I'm going to be selling the book as soon as this class is over and if I never see it again, I'll be perfectly content.

The next book we're reading in this class is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain is much more my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.