Monday, May 4, 2009

Feelings...nothing more than feelings

I feel the need to blog, but I don't really know what to say...

I feel all I can say is how good I feel, and what's interesting about that? While I said recently that I don't primarily blog for people to read, I do give it some consideration and I don't really think a post that resembles something like, "Yay! Yay! Yay!, " etc., all the way down the page would be interesting reading material....

Emotions are funny things.

I tend to stay in the middle and lean over to the happy, postive side most of the time. Lately I've been leaning further over to the happy, positive side than on average: school is almost out for the summer; it's spring, and summer's almost here, which in my life always means lots of fun!; I've spent lots of time lately with really great people that I love dearly; I went to Indiana yesterday to see a friend be ordained, and the service was beautiful; all those visits with people have meant road trips!; and I have the most amazing friends and family ever! Oh, and as cheesy and ridiculous as it may sound, God is good, and Jesus loves me. I don't know why it sounds ridiculous to say that, because it's not ridiculous at all, and it's the greatest reason I will ever have to be happy. And I've been more aware of it lately than I am most of the time.

But...my logical/philosophical/analytical side is trying to ruin my fun. Just as soon as I start feeling giddy, it pulls me back and says, "Hold on a minute...are you getting a little too carried away with your emotions? Because we can't have that. Letting emotions overtake you is not a good thing." So I stop and examine myself. And I ask another question..."Are emotions really as bad as I, and so many others, make them out to be?"

I believe that emotions have a place. We feel for a reason. They can help us know when something is wrong. They can motivate us to do something about what's wrong, if we need to do something. When we feel great sadness, they can help us appreciate the good, happy things even more. More than that, they make life interesting! We'd be really, really, dull if we didn't feel anything. Life would have no point, really.

But they can't control us. Because then we do stupid things. Like yell at people. Say things we don't mean. Get depressed when things really aren't that bad. Become drama queens. (Yes, guys, you, too.) (Wow, that sentence just had a comma between every word...) It's not pretty. (Emotions that reign supreme, that is, not my comma filled sentence.)

And that's where my cautionary question comes from. That ugliness does not need to happen. But I also need to be careful not to suppress my emotions completely. It's that part of me that asked that question that keeps me in the middle so much of the time, emotionally speaking, that is. I rarely ever feel anything without examining it and picking it apart first. It's always like, what's going on here, and how should I feel, and what should I do with those feelings, to the point that they've all dissipated by the time I'm done looking at them. Which is often a good thing. I think it's what lies beneath many of my good attributes, like my patience, and my lack of anger, my ability to stay calm in stressful situations. But like I mentioned before, I fear that it makes me pretty dull sometimes. It's hard to find a balance.

With all that in mind, I think my happiness is okay right now. I can let myself smile and laugh, and say, "Yay! Yay! Yay!" until I run out of breath. We need more happy things in the world. But I just need to make sure that I check myself every once in a while, to make sure my head isn't in the clouds.

So....Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! :-):-) :-) :-) :-) :-) *insert sound of me laughing here*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.