Thursday, July 30, 2009

A not-so-distant future.

The five members of my family, including me, are all under one roof tonight. The roof that covers the place we call home, to be specific. That hasn't happened in a while.

We've all done our fair share of traveling over the past several weeks, but my brother, the older of the two, has been gone the most. I've only seen him twice in the past approximately four weeks.

Most people who know me know my brother. Because we're together all the time. We've been a pair for about 19 years. With a very few exceptions, we have all the same friends. Our major interests are the same. And we happen to get along. Which is nice, because I've spent my life rarely feeling like I was without company.

For me, this past month has been a glimpse of the not-so-distant future. When one or both of us move out on our own, we won't be together 24/7. It's kind of sad to think about. But that's the way it is, and the way it should be. At some point, we must set out on the individual paths in front of us. But I have no doubt we will stay close, even if we live halfway around the world from each other.

But for right now, we have been reunited and can continue to spend 24/7 together. Tomorrow we will accomplish that by going on a roadtrip. I think it'll just be the two of us in my car, but our other brother may ride with us, too. Either way, that means lots of singing for the Harmon kids. We're like the von Trapp family, only with a few less kids....several less....maybe we'll get some three-part harmony going.

3 comments:

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.