Saturday, January 28, 2012

The wisdom of Solomon and Jo Rowling.

One of the reasons I read as much as I do, is that I routinely find things that arouse excitement.

Check out this excerpt from the story of Solomon, Ancient King of Israel:

"...God said [to Solomon], 'Ask what I should give you.' And Solomon said, 'You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant my father David, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you; and you have kept for him this great and steadfast love, and have given him a son to sit on his throne today. And now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David, although I am only a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of the people whom you have chosen, a great people, so numerous they cannot be numbered or counted. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, able to discern between good and evil; for who can govern this your great people?'
It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. God said to him, 'Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches, or for the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, I now do according to your word....' 
Then Solomon awoke; it had been a dream." - 1 Kings 3, New Revised Standard Version

Now take a look at this scene from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, just after Voldemort had hit The Boy Who Lived with the Killing Curse:

"[Harry] lay facedown, listening to the silence...A long time later, or maybe no time at all, it came to him that he must exist, must be more than disembodied thought, because he was lying, definitely lying, on some surface...He stood up, looking around...Harry turned slowly on the spot, and his surroundings seemed to invent themselves before his eyes...He spun around. Albus Dumbledore was walking toward him... 
'Where are we, exactly?' [asked Harry.] 
'Well, I was going to ask you that,' said Dumbledore, looking around. 'Where would you say that we are?' 
...'It looks,' he said slowly, 'like King's Cross Station. Except a lot cleaner and empty, and there are no trains as far as I can see.' 
'King's Cross Station!' Dumbledore was chuckling immoderately. 'Good gracious, really?' 
'Well, where do you think we are?' asked Harry, a little defensively. 
'My dear boy, I have no idea. This is, as they say, your party.' 
Harry had no idea what this meant... 
[After talking for a time with Dumbledore,] the realization of what would happen next settled gradually over Harry in the long minutes, like softly falling snow. 
'I've got to go back, haven't I?' 
'That is up to you.' 
'I've got a choice?' 
'Oh yes.' Dumbledore smiled at him. 'We are in King's Cross, you say? I think that if you decided not to go back, you would be able to...let's say...board a train.' 
'And where would it take me?' 
'On,' said Dumbledore simply. 
Silence again. 
'Voldemort's got the Elder Wand.' 
'True. Voldemort has the Elder Wand.' 
'But you want me to go back?' 
'I think,' said Dumbledore, 'that if you choose to return, there is a chance that he may be finished for good. I cannot promise it. But I know this, Harry, that you have far less to fear from returning here than he does.' 
...[Harry] stood up, and Dumbledore did the same, and they looked for a long moment into each other's faces. 
'Tell me one last thing,' said Harry. 'Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?' 
Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure. 
'Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?' - J.K. Rowling, Deathly Hallows, chapter titled "King's Cross"


After Solomon's dream took place, he became known in his kingdom for his great God-given wisdom, which made him one of the most well-known and respected rulers in history. Harry returned to the chaos of the most devastating battle Hogwarts had ever seen, and the conversation he had with Dumbledore helped empower him to defeat Voldemort with a finality he did not achieve as an infant, and become known as a savior for Wizard and Mugglekind alike.

Think twice before ever letting yourself be convinced that what's in your head is meaningless.

1 comment:

  1. Love the parallel. And one of my favorite Dumbledore quotes! =)

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.