Friday, January 20, 2012

Music. My favorite from last year.

I archived my book list from last year rather promptly, but I failed to muster the same initiative with my music list. Oops. It's still January, though, so I'm cool, right?

Here the original page appears in its entirety, with added italicized commentary in parentheses.





My brother and I made an indie film with the camera on my LG Vu. It's a money maker, I tell ya. See?



As grand as that was, the soundtrack to my life and times in 2011, unfortunately not included in the movie due to budget concerns and lack of editing skills, is even better.

Here it is, a list of meaningful new (either to the world at large or to me) music I have incorporated into my life in 2011.

In alphabetical order by title:

1. Barton Hollow - The Civil Wars (I not-so-secretly want to be Joy Williams. To do that, though, I have to find myself a John Paul White. I think he's out there. Somewhere. If you're reading this and think you're him, we should meet.)

2. The Far Country - Andrew Peterson

3. Heal for the Honey - Brooke Waggoner

4. The Ladder - Andrew Belle

5. Love & War & the Sea in Between - Josh Garrels

6. On the Altar of Love - downhere (I have supported the endeavors of these guys for a while. Musically, they haven't ever given me a reason to falter. But this time around, I was nervous. Before I heard this album, I was actually afraid that I wasn't going to like it. I prepared myself for impending disappointment. Then I heard it. And I think it might be my favorite album from them. Maybe.)

7. A Way to See in the Dark - Jason Gray (This album restored my sanity during a time when I thought it had ceased to exist.)

8. Welcome to the Welcome Wagon - The Welcome Wagon (Released by Asthmatic Kitty, produced by Sufjan Stevens, this album is terribly catchy. And they pronounce the word "handkerchief" like "handkercheef.)

And an honorable mention has to be given to Hark the Herons's album Under Skies. They released it digitally in 2010, the year in which it was crowned my most listened-to album, but they didn't print physical copies until this year. I bought three of them, so my Hark the Herons fever has been just as raging this year as it was the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.