Saturday, January 21, 2012

A peek inside my journal.

Journals are good for writing messily. They're also good for writing things that shouldn't be posted on the Internet. Typically, the things that end up in my journal fall under one of those two categories. Thus, they stay in my journal.

Occasionally, though, the fruit of my journal endeavors is something blog safe. Perhaps even blog worthy (in my mind). Such a creature appeared last week. I thought the occurrence was amusing, and I always like a laugh, even at the expense of myself. :)

For your reading pleasure, slightly edited for clarification for those not a part of my mind's inner circle:

1-14-12

Dude, I am so not cool. If that wasn't clear before, tonight provided sufficient proof. I was just trying to recount bits of tonight's episode of SNL to Calyn and it was comical. Not because I'm a comic genius, but because I'm exactly the opposite. I sounded like...I don't know what exactly I sounded like...like an intellectual trying to be culturally relevant but failing. Much like I just failed with that description. Everything's a lecture with me. I have a friend who is a joke over-explainer and makes no secret of telling people that he is. I'm like him. And what I mean by that is...see? I'm the one who should be writing textbooks, not sketch comedy. Or better yet, I'll write articles on sketch comedy that can appear in peer-reviewed journals, so that I can intellectualize and over-explain and get paid for it. That's the ticket. I'll become a famous cultural critic. Even the uncool seem kind of cool when they have money. I do remember one thing I said that may have redeemed me a little. I used the word "trashy." Maybe I'm only 99% uncool. Add in a little money and I might be able to bring that number down to 98.5%.


(Note: In my journal, this little paragraph looks moderately substantial. On this screen, in this diminutive, uniform, personality-challenged font, it's far less impressive. This is why I like handwriting.)

(Note 2: "The Beautiful Letdown," playing in my mental jukebox, has been my companion writing this, "painfully uncool" as I am. If you like Switchfoot and haven't been singing it before now, you're welcome.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey...I know that friend! :-) This made me smile. And I love the fact that you used the word trashy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You diagrammed my epic sentence. That makes you super cool. Or I'm painfully uncool for thinking that's cool.
    Hey, I know the joke over-explainer too. I'm delighted to be on the inside of this joke.
    (and what I mean by that is...)

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.