Sunday, September 25, 2011

The world has found somebody to love. I knew this would happen.

And it's about time.

Usually, when everybody's talking about something, I'm not. Sometimes - oftentimes - I don't even know about it.

But when someone I know is at the center of all the chatter, I'm more than happy, eager even, to make an exception.

I'm surprised it's taken me so long to post about this, actually.

Marc Martel, guitarist and co-lead singer for the band downhere, submitted an audition video  on Tuesday for a Queen tribute band, set to be called Queen Extravaganza. The contest and eventual tour is the brain child of Queen's drummer Roger Taylor, and while he'll have the final say on who all will be in the band, he launched this search to allow the public to vote on who they want one member of the band to be.

For years, Marc has had dozens of people come up to him after every concert he plays and ask him something along the lines of, "Has anyone ever told you that you sound like that guy from Queen?" So it was almost a no-brainer for him to submit his own audition. Out of the four songs hopefuls had to choose from, Marc picked "Somebody to Love."

If you haven't seen it, watch the video. Even if you have, watch it again. This is 2 minutes and 11 seconds of your life that you will not regret devoting to a blending of audio and visuals.



Impressive? I know the guy and I'm impressed. I even know he could have done better than this and I'm still impressed.

Apparently a lot of other people are too, because the video has over 2 million views as of the time I'm writing this and he's been popping up all over the Internet, television and radio. Wow.

I've known the band downhere for about three years (and been listening to them for about nine). They're not only four of my favorite musicians, but also people I genuinely like to be around. To say I'm proud of Marc is an understatement.

Voting begins November 11th. If things have already been taking off this quickly, I'm excited to see what happens between now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.