Friday, September 2, 2011

Why do I even try?

Today. Oh, today.

On Facebook, starting this morning and continuing on into the early evening, I campaigned, not fiercely but I campaigned nonetheless, to get someone to come to my house. My mom's been in pain, Calyn's been covered by the first week of school, Austyn, Adam and I have been stuck at home. (I would have included my dad in this sentence because he's been working like that proverbial dog, but because of all that work, I knew he probably wouldn't be home if someone came over. Or if he was, he'd probably apologize to whomever came over for being a bad host, and then promptly go to bed.) I knew we'd all like it if some new life walked into the house. The atmosphere has been far too despondent.

While enticing to some, my campaign proved rather fruitless. One friend this morning expressed interest in dropping by, but his wife was out of town and he was babysitting his granddaughter. Other friends vowed they would have been here in a second, but they live too far away. Folding a map to shorten the continent didn't work. No TV cabinets, wardrobes or other sundry pieces of household furniture were found to house magical passages to my house or anywhere near it.

At least I gave it the old college try.

Skip to the scene where we're eating dinner. There I sit on the couch with my plate on my lap, 2 of the 3 boys already populating the living room furniture as well, and what should we hear but a knock on the door. As I had a plate of food and a pillow in my lap and was sitting far back in the abyss of our monster of a couch, I knew I couldn't jump up right away. I also knew my dad in the other room was closer to the door and could probably make it there before me. So I stayed in my seat, eagerly looked at the door, and thought. "Did someone decide to drop by and they didn't tell me?!" My dad opens the door and in walks...

...one of Adam's brothers. He had come to give Adam some mail and some of his things that he wasn't able to get when he moved out. ("Moved out".......but that's a rant I don't need to get into right now.)

1) He is not one of the 300-something people who comprise my Facebook friend list.
2) He didn't come to see me. Didn't come to see my mom. Didn't even know that my mom's been ill. And wasn't intending to stick around and visit at all. Just drop off his deliveries, exchange a few societal conversational courtesies, and go back to his home.

I wanted someone to come over and someone came over, all right. But it wasn't because of any effort on my part.

No control over my life. None.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.