Thursday, November 25, 2010

If one could get tan in front of a computer, I'd be the envy of the block.

I am in the United States of America, and I realize what day this is in which I am writing. It's Thanksgiving Day. If I'm going to blog, there is an unwritten expectation that I should blog about the things for which I am thankful, or the subject of thankfulness itself.

As I've stated before, I don't hold to conventions. Aside from that, I think I do a fair job of expressing my gratitude in other posts throughout the year, yes? (That's a rhetorical question. Don't feel any obligation to answer.) So, like I always do, I shall write what's on my mind.


I'm tired of looking at a screen.

Wait? What? Did she say she's tired of looking at a screen? Then why is she posting this...on a screen?

Valid question. I'm taking the time to complain on a screen about how I don't want to look at a screen anymore. I realize this. Continuing on...

What with my affinity for Facebook and Twitter, my desire to blog and read blogs, and other such unnecessary things, I can spend a fair amount of time looking at a screen on my own. But the bulk of the reason my laptop and I are in such close proximity of each other so much of the time is because of school. I have e-mails to read from and to send to my professors and classmates on a regular basis. I have papers to write. Those papers and other projects require research, which I mostly do online.

Especially now that the end of the semester is nearing. It's crunch time. I have much to do in a short amount of time, and unfortunately most of it requires more bonding to my already-too-close friend of a computer. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I wouldn't know.

The end of the semester is nearing and aside from the prospect of having no homework, the thing I'm looking forward to most is having every excuse to not have an electronic glow in front of my face. There will be people to look at squarely in the face whom I have been neglecting for three and a half months. There will be books to be read that have been lying forlorn for too long. There will be a whole passel of ingredients in the kitchen calling for me to make them into something palatally pleasing. All this along with a whole host of other things that I could not begin to enumerate. If it's not in front of a screen, I'm interested.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not going to disappear off the face of the Interweb the minute I'm out of school. I like knowing what people are doing too much for that. But after I exercise my Facebook stalker self, check my various e-mail accounts, visit messageboards, and spy out interesting tweets, I can walk away. For as long as I want to. Maybe even all day. Wow.

The arrival of the day this is possible is greatly anticipated. But first I have to live through the rest of the semester. On Tuesday, I have three big projects due. Which is why I'm spending my whole Thanksgiving break working. Then come finals a week and half later. I expect these next days to be a blur.

But really, when is my life not a blur? (That's another rhetorical question. You don't have to answer this one either.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.