Sunday, April 4, 2010

Emotionally induced promises.

When you're on an emotional high, whatever the emotion may be, it's really easy to determine within yourself that you're going to do something at another point in time, and then go on to proclaim to the world or anyone who will hear you that you are going to do that something at said point in time.

Right now, I can easily proclaim that I am going to blog more when school is out. Except of course the times when I am out of pocket and no where near my computer or an Internet connection.

Theoretically, this is possible. From my current perspective, I don't see why it won't happen. When not buried in an avalanche of academics, I would love to channel more of my creative juices into writing on my own time. And I am currently feeling so eager to write, that the thought of blogging from here until next month sounds like a good idea.

But my rational side is nagging at me. "You can't say that. You don't know what you're going to do. You may find that you lose interest. Or that you run out of things to say. Or that you end up being a lot busier than you expected. That promise can't be made."

So I'm not making that promise. But I am saying that at the moment that's what I want to do. And I'm fairly certain I'll make it happen. But if I don't, you've been sufficiently warned not to expect anything, so I hope all disappointment is kept to a minimum. Which it probably would be anyway, because the world nor my next-door neighbor's life hang on how much I blog. For this I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* I get excited about things too easily, believing I'll really do something, then losing the momentum. Result: now when I catch myself I am very hesitant to make any promises requiring future self-motivation, and I'm excited about every project or dream that does come to completion. It seems the more I talk about a plan the harder it is to carry out.

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.