Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Continuing to search....

I posted a week ago on the subject of art and what I think its purpose should be. I have more to add.

The argument I presented in the last post was that we should always be searching for and highlighting the good things in existence. To add another dimension to that, when you see an injustice or a perversion in the world, I do not think much is accomplished in putting it on display, even for the purpose of trying to communicate how wrong you think it is. If we think something is wrong, obviously we think there is something better and that that is the goal we should be working toward. So rather than calling out the bad and saying, "Get away from this," why not just proclaim the good and say, "Come toward this." It makes sense in my mind that if what is true and right is put on display, then the things that are not will be obvious without ever having been intentionally pointed out.

I also commented last time on how my way of thinking does not seem to fit the norm. I speculated about why that is in my last post, and although I danced around the answer, I never came to a firm conclusion. Now, however, I'm saying to myself, "Duh! It's so obvious."

My way of thinking isn't like everyone else, because I'm not like everyone else. I have a system of beliefs that are far different than popular opinion. But beyond just the basics of beliefs, I am chiefly different because of Jesus. I have decided to live in Him and He, therefore, in His love and grace, also now lives in me, and upon that occurrence, I was radically changed. He is the reason I believe the things that I believe. He is the reason that I am always looking for redemption and hope and truth.

This is not true for the majority of the world. The majority of the world would be confused by both the notion of someone living in Christ and that of Him living in anyone else. It's not easy to wrap your head around until you've experienced it. And even then, understanding is not made complete instantaneously. So with my way of thinking being so radically different than the majority, it's no wonder that I am so turned off with much in culture. It's no wonder that my ideals and values clash with most of the ones being presented around me.

The Bible talks about how different the people in Christ are, and while I always accepted that as true, there was a not-so-distant time when I didn't really understand what that meant, because I didn't see a whole lot of evidence in my life personally. There are several reasons for this, I think, that I won't go into now. The point is that my difference has become increasingly evident, and now I finally think I understand what the Bible talks about regarding this topic.

The area where this is most evident to me is in my academic life. In other areas of my life, if I see something that even appears to be not according to my liking, it's really easy for me to distance myself from it and not give much thought to it. For example, if I think a TV show is promoting values that go against my own, then I can simply not watch it, and that is the end of that. But I can't do that in school if I want to pass my classes in the parameters that have been established. If my professor tells me to read a book, I have to read it. If I am told to watch a movie, I have to watch it. I run across a lot of things on which I would not spend my time and energy if I were deciding for myself.

So I read the books, plays, watch the movies, TV shows, etc. I listen to the class discussions, and occasionally add my own input. It would be so much easier if I could let things roll past me without giving it too much consideration, but I can't. I can't blow anything off. And wouldn't that actually defeat the purpose of my education, because I think, at least in theory, that's the point of studying all of these things that are being put in front of me, so that I can learn about the world around me and try to function in it, and that functioning includes developing my own ideas and opinions. So that's what I do. I actually think I spend more time just trying to process all of the tragedy that I run into than I do on actual work. You want me to read this book and then write an analysis between the main character and another character from a different book? Sure, I'll do that. As soon as I spend at least a day asking why things happened they way they did, what motivates people to write such things, and why I care so much. But after I do all of that, then I'll be happy to do your assignment. (Side note: when I think about how much time I honestly spend thinking about these kinds of things, it's no wonder my homework is so often left to the last minute and I feel like I have to rush all of the time. I take the time I could be spending writing a paper, and I use it laying on my bed, staring at the wall, asking myself the same questions over and over again.)

I have somewhat drifted from what I initially started talking about. To get back on point, my worldview is unlike most people that I encounter. So I shouldn't be surprised when their ideas and mine don't match. Nor should I be surprised when they create art that does not function as I think art should. Jesus never walked up to sinners and slapped them in the face for sinning. You know who he did virtually slap in the face? The people who were supposed to know better, yet didn't act like it. So I will spend my time trying to do what I know is better, and with any hope, that will catch the attentions of people who don't know better, and they will be motivated to start seeking out the good with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.