Saturday, April 10, 2010

What's important in life.

In recent times, there have been many things that I have decided not to worry myself with. In ideal situations, I would do them differently, but in the grand scheme of things they aren't all that important, and I have many other important things vying for my time and attention.

One of these things that has been lowered on the totem pole of importance is the cleanliness of my room. There's rarely a moment when there isn't at least one article of clothing on the floor. Also on the floor is a suitcase from a trip four weeks ago that I haven't completely unpacked yet. And speaking of the floor, a good vacuum job is long overdue. I'm really happy I'm not one of those people who's grossed out by hair.

Cleaning off my bed before I lay down at night has lost importance too. I can't remember the last time I slept on my bed with nothing but me and my bedding. Whatever lands on it stays there, until I find a reason other than sleeping to take it off. I make sure that about half of it (or even a little less) is clear so that I have a place to lie down, then I lie down and I wonder if tonight will finally be the night that I knock something off.

Most nights, I don't even care what I sleep in anymore, either. Pajamas are not required. A couple of months ago, I fell into bed wearing a dress for the first time ever. The first time I can remember, at least. I assume it could be possible when I was very young that I fell asleep in a dress, and my parents decided to leave me in it in order to not wake me up. But I don't recall ever wearing a dress to bed. I've done it a few times since then, and I think I'm about to do it again.

Continuing with bed talk, I even almost convinced myself that sleeping in my bed wasn't important, and almost slept in my armchair one night within the past couple of months. My armchair is pretty big as far as chairs go, but considering that many chairs are just big enough for you to sit on, "pretty big" doesn't mean much. It's not fit for sleeping. But I was so tired that I didn't want to move the half a foot to get to my bed. So I pulled the ottoman over to try to get as cozy as I could, and after about a minute, when I hadn't fallen asleep and was feeling almost anything but cozy, I sternly told myself to get in the bed. Even if it is covered in junk, bed is better than no bed, so that is one thing that needs to keep its status of importance.

Most other things seem to be negotiable, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.