Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Warning to the clumsy: Beware Of School!

School is hazardous to your health. Seriously. Well, mine anyway.

I barely made it through my first year due to an injury, and ended up taking a year off just to recover. I started back to school this fall, eagerly anticipating an injury free, easier year, and what happens this Monday at 11:15 AM while heading to lunch? I slip. I fall. I mess up my ankle.

I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon. He poked around on my ankle, making me gasp in pain a few times, and then sent me to the hospital to get an MRI. I went to the hospital, was wheeled around the place by my brothers in a wheelchair, spent a little over 20 minutes with the lower half of my body in a mammoth-sized machine that made very loud noises akin to an old video game, and then headed home. I spent the rest of the evening on the couch. Then slept on the couch. Woke up on the couch. Spent the morning on the couch. And then finally got up off the couch for a grand total of 10 minutes because I was tired of being on the couch. During those 10 minutes, I went upstairs. Not the smartest thing I could have done. But I wanted to get dressed. And besides that I'm rather stubborn and no one can tell me what I can and can't do with an injured ankle. If I were the marathon-running type, I imagine that I would be the one who would break her leg and then try to run a marathon as soon as the cast was off. (Bet you thought I was going to say I'd run with the cast. I'm not that dumb. ;-) ) Anyway, while I did go up the stairs, I did play it safe. I scooted up them, pushing myself with my good foot. (See, I'm not that dumb.) I got dressed, hopping on one leg in the process. And then scooted back down the stairs.

And now I'm writing this. And now I need to wrap this up, because I have to go back to the doctor. He should have the results of the MRI, so I should be finding out the extent of the damage. I will be sure to update on here after I hear what he tells me. I'm hoping all I did was twist a ligament, instead of tearing it. It honestly doesn't feel that bad, but as I'm sure you can tell from my stair-climbing, one-legged hopping adventure, I'm not the best judge of the severity of injuries. I can put up with a lot, so I often think things are fine when they really aren't.

Off to the doctor I go, so I can limp some more and look hilariously awkward while doing it!

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! I hope you don't miss too much school.

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.