Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cry baby.

I've often wondered why I cry as much as I do. Crying, especially excessive crying, is usually associated with things that have a negative connotation. Like sadness. Depression. Crying out of happiness is not a foreign concept, but usually after one gets over the initial rush of being happy, the crying ends, and good feelings won't make them cry again until those good feelings are lost and recovered once more. But I don't think myself sad or depressed. I have my moments, yes. But my general disposition at this time of my life resembles nothing of the sort.

So we've ruled out sadness. Let's look at another factor. Most of the time, I would say that God makes me cry. Not always, but most commonly. What I mean by that is I hear truth about God, truth from God, things that he does, things that other people have learned from God, etc. And when I hear those deep truths, they make me weep. It doesn't matter how many times I've heard them, they still leave me teary-eyed. So if those things aren't making me sad why am I crying? Well, they're powerful. But wouldn't I get used to them after a while?

Therein lies the key. God's truth, absolute truth, is one of the most powerful things one can ever encounter. And rather than weakening in meaning, it actually gets stronger. The first time you encounter truth, it can knock you to the floor. And as life goes on and your understanding deepens, the next time you encounter that truth it penetrates deeper, to a whole new level. So it never gets old. There's no chance for you to get used to it. And if you do, which I would say I have before, then you need to step back and really examine that truth again. And I think you will soon see again just how powerful that truth is.

No wonder I cry so much. Especially since I seem to have such a predisposition to crying in so many other areas. And with that in mind, I'm okay with all my crying. My concern vanishes with that understanding. You'll just have to bear with me if I seem to be blubbering for no reason. Just know that there is always a reason, and while you may be wired to do any number of various things as a reaction to deeply affecting things, I am wired to cry. To cry and to sing. Not always in conjunction, because the former makes it hard to do the latter, but sometimes I do indeed do both at the same time. Just overlook how I sound. Unless you like the sound of my cracking voice. Which is entirely possible. The raw emotion may touch you. I know it does me when I hear other people sing. But now I am beginning to ramble, so I believe I am done for now. I've been a very busy blogger in a very short period of time and I think it's time for me to take a break. I will now go bask in the glory of downhere music and soak up some truth and cry some more.

1 comment:

  1. I love your authenicity! God's truth, love, faithfullness, goodness, and mercy bring me tears a lot too.

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.