Sunday, November 2, 2008

Target Practice

I just finished doing my nightly "target practice."

I'm sure visions of bows, arrows, and maybe even darts are floating through your heads. But I am not an archer, nor a hunter, nor have I been hanging out in a bar dividing my time between a pool table and a dartboard.

"Target practice" is the name for the homework given in this class I am taking. The class is called, "Getting Your Life On Target" and it is put on by 180 Degrees Ministries. The class meets every Tuesday night for 12 weeks and this Tuesday will be the 9th week, so it's nearing the end.

This class has been incredible. So much truth has been spoken these eight weeks, and I know there will be even more in the remaining four. I cannot begin to regurgitate all of the amazing things I have learned thus far. One of the things that's been so cool is the fact that I've known a lot of the things being taught, but I didn't realize I knew it. So many things have been presented in a way that makes everything click. So even though the knowledge was there, I understand it in a way that I never have before.

180 Degrees Ministries was started by a man named Steve Austin, with the goal of helping people break from the bondage of addictions and vicious cycles in their lives. If you're like me, you hear "addiction" and think, "That's not for me. I'm not addicted to anything." But in reality, if you're like me, you've been living with vicious cycles in your life that you didn't even realize existed. That's what an addiction is, a vicious cycle.

Steve Austin, the one teaching the class and the one who started 180, was the stereotypical addict of all addicts. But God freed him from his addictions and vicious cycles, so now he's spending his life helping other people find the freedom that only comes from God. His testimony is pretty amazing.

Here is the website for 180, if you want to check it out: http://www.180degreesministries.com/home.html

Tuesday nights have been one of the highlights of my week. I am definitely looking forward to the next class. Maybe over time I will be able to relate some of the things that God has been teaching me recently. There's a lot. And it's pretty powerful stuff.

But for now, it's midnight. I have a class at 8 AM, so sleep is calling.

Much love,
Emily Lynn

"Trust steadily in God
Hope unswervingly
Love extravagantly."
1 Corinthians 13:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.