Saturday, April 9, 2011

On learning.

I haven't updated this in a while. For those who don't know, I'm graduating on May 7th. (!!!)

I was talking to my brother recently about this whole graduation thing, and several reasons why I'm excited about it. One of the biggest reasons I shared with him was this: "I'm looking forward to graduating so I can actually learn something."

This comment is not meant to offend anyone. Apologies to all of you who in the system who actually enjoy what you do. Good for you! We need more people like you! I'm also not saying that I have learned nothing in the past five years since I began my MTSU career. I have.

But I feel like my learning, academic learning, has been stunted to a lesser degree that what it could be. I don't work well in the typical school system. I don't work well in most typical systems. And I only fair marginally better in atypical systems. Systems and I just don't gel.

So I feel like soon is coming a great opportunity for me to really be able to dive into the things that interest me and devote my time and energy to them in a way that will help me get something substantial out of them. I've learned a lot in school that hasn't been academic, but I think the chief things I've learned academically have been 1.) that I truly do enjoy learning, and 2.) what does and doesn't work for me when learning. Even though I've always enjoyed learning, had I not gone to college these years, I don't know that I would have embraced learning things as whole-heartedly as I do now. Regardless of certain specifics I haven't learned which I know I should have, college has made me a better learner. So maybe I'll finally be able to learn all of those things I should have done once I leave MTSU.

And once again, I have crafted a short post that touches the surface, but will end without going deeper. I blame school. Maybe when I graduate, I'll be able to generate something more thought-provoking. Right now, I need to sleep. I have a mountain to conquer in the next four weeks, that I'm praying God will transform into a molehill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.