Sunday, April 10, 2011

The White Council.

Tonight I will be brief.

I love spending time with people with wisdom. Which usually means spending time with people much older than I am. I particularly appreciate when that wisdom is not patronizing, recognizing that yes, I may not know as much as you, but no, it's not a flaw. I'm just only 22 and haven't had the chance to learn as much. But I'm willing to listen and grow.

Spent the evening as the only 20-something in a room full of people over twice my age. It seems reasonable, and likely expected, to say it was uncomfortable, but it wasn't. It was much more comfortable than all of the sitting in rooms full of 20-somethings that I do every day. People were willing to gently and gracefully speak what they know. There was no arrogance or defensiveness, motivated by a need to prove themselves for fear no one will take them seriously otherwise. And they just as gracefully were willing to listen to others, knowing they don't have all the answers and someone else might be able to reveal truth to them.

Here on this planet, I think that's one of the greatest marks of wisdom sometimes: knowing and conceding that you don't know everything.

May I always have that attitude, from now until the day I die.

2 comments:

  1. Such a wise young lady! Much love to you and congratulations on the upcoming graduation!!! So hard to believe you're all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you and the family are doing well! It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.