Monday, August 2, 2010

Don't get comfortable.

My life is pretty great.

At least that's how I feel most days.

But I haven't always felt that way.

If you're looking for stories of sadness, I have some. Personal betrayal? I'm familiar with that too. Confusion, insecurity, heartache, insignificance, none of these are completely foreign.

But by the grace of God, none of those things overshadow my current state of existence.

There are plenty of people, however, who do feel consumed by those things. I hear their stories all the time, colored by varying shades of darkness and depression.

It can be easy for me, in the middle of my good feelings about my great life, to hear those stories and not have quite the right empathy for how serious they are. Then, as soon as they're removed from my immediate attention, they can easily fade from my mind, and even though I do care about the people behind those stories who are suffering, I forget about them. Until their plight is brought back to my attention.

At which point I ask myself, "Have you really forgotten what it's like? When you were in that person's position you would have appreciated someone caring about you. And since you've experienced it, you're in the perfect position to relate to them in a way that not everyone can."

Please, Lord, don't let me get so comfortable in the good that surrounds me that I forget to care about others.

As I say that, I realize how dangerous a request that is for my happy life. But I'm not called to happiness. I'm called to Christ and bringing him glory. My life is not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.