Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tens of thousands of miles and counting.

From the age of 15 to 17, a time in my life where I was the most isolated I have been thus far and commonly would not walk out of my abode for a week at a time (not even to get the mail), if someone would have described a typical month in the world of Emily Lynn just a few years later, my eyebrows would have raised in surprise and I would have eagerly anticipated the day when I could have a change of pace, while simultaneously have felt skeptical that such would be the case.

A short while ago, I was thinking about the nearly 8 months of this year that have already passed. I start school Monday and the ending of a season coupled with a new beginning often makes one stop and take a moment to be introspective; I'm given over to introspection even without these things, so it was bound to happen. One of the many topics that flitted through my mind was travel. I have scheduled many trips for the remaining months of the year, and my summer has been largely defined by what seems to be my new favorite pastime. I soon came to realize, though, that it has not only been my summer that was responsible for a multitude of miles put on my car, but the whole of 2010; there has not been a month this year which I have spent in only one state. Most often my time each month has been divided by just two states, but there have been instances of more.

I can't say this for certain, but I'm almost positive that never before has that happened. I'm no stranger to long car trips, but whoa. I remember feeling when I was little that I had made the trip between Conway, Arkansas and Nashville, Tennessee so many times that I could get someone there in my sleep even though I had never driven, but still, we didn't pack up and the car and go that often. I don't think.

If plans come to be as I expect them to, then I will be spending the rest of the months this year in at least two states as well. As many as three or four in some instances. It's almost like being on tour. Not really, but I'm getting there.

Along with the crossing of much distance, my general busyness has increased even while I'm in town, even at home, to the point that I find the need to schedule things that I never thought I would have to consciously make time for. As I approach my senior year, I'm hoping this isn't a problem. I cringe at the thought of reaching my final two semesters and making terrible grades just because I can't juggle it all.

However my academic life pans out, I'm certain of one thing: I've become accustomed to my relatively fast-paced life and it's hard to imagine going back to the way things have been in the past. I'm pretty sure I don't want to. Finding a job to support this lifestyle would be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.