Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Harry James Potter knows what's up.

I am in the middle of my annual reread of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

It's taken me much longer to get through than I anticipated. I've been far busier this summer than I imagined I would be. And with less than three weeks left until school starts, I looked at where I was in the story (in the middle of the fourth book, with three of the biggest books I have ever read to go after it) and decided to make this a reading day, determined to finish book four before the day was over.

This is the way I like to read, completely immersed in the story. When I just make my way through a chapter at a time (sometimes even less than a chapter) and go away for a while, then everything seems choppy. Story is supposed to be representative of life, and life doesn't usually happen like that. One is always living, always surrounded by the happenings around them, whatever they may be. So to fully experience a story, I feel the need to surround myself with it.

In doing so on this day, I noticed again something about our protagonist that I've picked up on in the past: Harry, even in his youth, knows what's important and isn't easily distracted from it.

In the fourth book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry is one of four champions competing for the Triwizard Cup in the Triwizard Tournament. But that's not really what Harry's doing. Yes, there are three monumental tasks that he faces along with the other three champions, and he does his best in each one of them, and he ultimately does end up winning, but throughout the whole ordeal, that's never his focus. He knows that he shouldn't even be in the tournament, and is aware that something sinister is behind his being there. Instead of being distracted by what he could gain - more fame, power, popularity, wealth - he stays focused on that which he is always focused: fighting evil and staying alive (although even that latter goal is eventually forfeited in favor of the former). He realizes that the tournament has no real eternal value, nor does the gleaming trophy or bag of gold that he gains in the end.

I've felt much the same way about my schooling. I am preparing for my senior year in college. While I began with the intent to graduate at some point, I have felt these years that getting a degree, sitting through classes, doing my homework, really hasn't been the point. Am I going to get a degree? Yes. Do I make it a point to go to class, even when there are tempting alternatives? Yes. Do I do my homework, even when it means going all night without sleep and saying "good-bye" to fun as it passes in front of my face? Yes. So what is the point?

I'm not sure exactly. I do know that I have learned things that I might not have learned in any other setting. I have gained experiences that I certainly could not have gained in any other setting. I also take seriously my call to be a light in darkness, and there is a lot of darkness on the campus of MTSU. And while I've never stood on the corner handing out pamphlets, invited everyone I see to come to church, or gotten into any deep theological discussions, I do hope...believe...that my simple presence has brought the presence of Christ.

As they say, time will tell what my whole college experience has been about. I never have really been the career driven type, and I am less so now than I have ever been, so I'm rather sure it hasn't been about that. Which seems really counterintuitive. But I've learned to just run with it.

Something else I do know, like Harry's story has inspired me, I hope mine will inspire at least one other person. And I'm actually real, so shouldn't I be that much more inspiring?

One other thing that I think I know, Jo Rowling and I would get along well. She knows what's up, that woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.