Friday, July 30, 2010

On singing.

Most people who know anything about me know that I sing. Not only do I like to, I actually think I have some measure of skill. And from what I have gathered, others agree, because they haven't told me to shut my mouth yet and even go beyond that to keep asking me to open it back up. Thank you.

But there are some people and some performances out there that make me feel like what I do is nothing but child's play.

Enter Marc Martel. He's one of the lead singers of the band downhere. About a year ago, the band posted a video of him talking about singing, where he answered a few questions that he frequently gets out on the road about how he learned how to sing, influences, things of that nature. Basically, his story and mine are similar. I've done everything he's said: mimicking people my whole life, experimenting until the sound that was coming out of my mouth very nearly matched what I was hearing. But still, I don't see how he does it. Raw talent, I guess. Divine favor, maybe. I don't know.

This guy makes a living in rock and roll, and he does it well, but unlike a lot of rockers out there, he's also a pretty good opera singer. That's what really blows my mind. To be able to move between such vastly different genres - and do it well - commands skill.

So watch and enjoy. Yeah, it's a year old, but it never gets old. I happened to come across it again today and it felt appropriate to post it here. I hope to be able to do at least half of what he does one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.