Friday, October 23, 2009

There's a first time for everything.

I am about to do something I never expected that I would do.....blog about food.

I'm not usually the type of person who finds some deep, spiritual insight in food, nor do I think it's so great that I want to talk about it all of the time. I don't even have time to eat, usually. Breakfast is rare for me. And I don't usually eat at school. So I'll munch on something when I get home in the afternoon, and then eat dinner later. So that's two meals. There are usually one or two days of the week (typically weekends) when I actually eat on three separate occasions. But two is the dominating number. There are even times, which aren't as rare as they should be, when I only eat once in a day. So obviously, for good or for bad, food isn't on my list of priorities. So why am I blogging about it?

Because there is a little-known delight that I can't help but talk about.

Chocolate gravy. You go some places, and everyone knows about chocolate gravy, then you go others and people give you funny looks when you mention it. I love it when those funny looks turn into, "Wow, this is good!" Put it on biscuits, and it's one of my favorite foods.

The reason this is on my mind is because I made a speech about it this week. In my speech class, we were supposed to demonstrate something, and I chose to demonstrate how to make chocolate gravy. And then gave out samples. I was pleased to see about two or three of my classmates knew what it was. Since I obviously can't cook in a classroom, I made up a batch the day before to take with me, and it was so hard to not be able to eat it for 24 hours.

For any who aren't familiar with it, it really is what it sounds like. It's a substance that's the consistency of gravy that looks and tastes like chocolate. I've heard people put it on all kinds of things, but I believe it is best on what it was originally intended for, biscuits. I don't make it often, because I don't cook much, especially not in the morning, but having made it this week, I'm starting to think that I may have to make more soon for breakfast for dinner. Chocolate is good any time of the day.

Another incentive for me to make it would be guests. Especially those who've never tried it. So come to my house, and I'll feed you chocolate. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.