Sunday, October 11, 2009

My very first album review - How Many Kings: Songs For Christmas

I have never written an album review before. Even for my much talked about favorite group of guys Downhere. But that is about to change. And it figures that it would take Christmas music to get me to break my silence.

The aforementioned band, Downhere, released an album of Christmas songs this past Tuesday, October 6th, appropriately titled How Many Kings: Songs For Christmas. I was privileged enough to get an advance copy of this album back in July, and having listened to it an incalculable number of times since then, have had plenty of time to get comfortable with, to the point that it's now like an old, familiar friend.

I said in the beginning that it figures that it would take Christmas music to break my album reviewing silence, because I am a great lover of Christmas music. Combine that with my favorite band, and there was about a one-in-a-zillion chance that I wasn't going to like this album. But I am well aware that not all people go nuts about Christmas music like me. I've even heard rumors about some who don't even listen to it in on Christmas Day, but that can't possibly be true. Can it? Regardless, I realize that not everyone is going to get excited about an album of Christmas music. But, if you can believe me, I think this album will make people who don't like Christmas music, like Christmas music. At least a little.

This album is very original. Four of the songs on here are originals written by the band, and one of those originals comes in two versions that are very different from each other. All of the rest are traditional carols, done as only Downhere can do them.

I don't want write a 10-page, exhaustive novella about each song, but I do want to briefly mention some highlights.

How Many Kings - This is the first original, that was previously released on their label's compliation album Bethlehem Skyline, and appears here spruced up with some nicely arranged strings. It has been one of their most popular songs to date, and with good reason. It presents the uniqueness of the Christmas story with beautifully written, vivid images.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - I've always thought this was a fun song, but the way they do it takes it to a whole new level. I have one word: Baroque. If you don't know what that means, you have missed out on much in life, and I will be happy to explain, should you only ask.

Angels From The Realms Of Glory - I think the average person has heard of this song, and perhaps is familiar with the tune, but I'm relatively sure the majority could not tell you any words beyond the first six, which happen to be those contained in the title. I, for one, did not know it well, and that's saying something. This is the first song on here they do that I deem to be an unfamiliar familiar Christmas carol. Which I like, because it adds to the uniqueness. With their arrangement, they do the beauty of the lyrics justice.

Christmas In Our Hearts - This is the second original. One of the first things my mom said when she heard it was, "You know...this sounds like the Beatles." Yes, mama, I agree.

Silent Night - This a very familiar familiar Christmas carol. I personally have more versions of this song than any other. But for me, the way they do this song never gets old. Again, they do justice to the beauty of the lyrics. It's very simple. The song is carried by the amazingly complimentary vocals of Jason and Marc, which in my eyes, considering how much I define Downhere by their strong vocals, and especially the blending of the two, is about as "Downhere" as you can get.

Good King Wenceslas - This is another one of those unfamiliar familiar Christmas carols. Before this album, I could sing the tune to you all day, but knew nothing beyond the first three words, "Good King Wenceslas." And I am ashamed to say that I couldn't even pronounce "Wenceslas" correctly. This version is incredibly infectious. I'd like to see anyone not start grooving at least a little bit when they hear it. I do every time. It gets me in trouble when I'm driving....

What Child Is This? - One of my all-time favorite Christmas carols. This version goes down smoothly. Until it gives you chills. And for all you English speakers, there's a surprise when you get to the third verse. Marc, the French-Canadian, sings in French. I'm terrible at French, so despite how many times I've listened to it, I still can't get all the words right. It's my favorite part of the song.

Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabella - Another unfamiliar familiar Christmas carol. A beautiful story of two girls who happen upon the manger scene and go spread the word of what they have seen. We hardcore fans have been wanting them to record this song for years, and there was much exclaiming when we got word that it was on the album. They did not disappoint.

5 Golden Rings - Umm...no it's not the Twelve Days Of Christmas....you'll have to listen for yourself. They have a sense of humor, these guys.

Glory To God - This is the third original, also previously released on the compilation album Bethlehem Skyline. Nothing was added to this song for this album, but it wouldn't have been complete without it. The third verse sums it up best, "Now until He returns remember this time, when least of men were given the greatest of light. That God chose not to glory in wealth, power, fame, but with the simple and the small he came."

Gift Carol - The fourth original, and very Christmassy in a good way. The bridge is my favorite. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside, not because of jingle bells and presents, but because Jesus came to earth and even the angels sang of his arrival.

We Wish You A Merry Christmas - Aside from the bonus track, this is the end, and what a fitting end it is. A jolly "Merry Christmas" from the four of them and a dog. Their arrangement reminds me of Bert on Mary Poppins, when he was doing his one-man-band gig. All I can say is, I want them to come caroling at my house. (Which considering my proximity to Nashville, wouldn't be too far out of the way. ;-)) Oh, and listen for Jeremy's solo. He makes his singing debut. It makes me smile.

How Many Kings Re-Imagined - This is that second, very different, version that I mentioned, and I love how the same song book-ends the album. This happens to be my favorite track out of them all. As much as I believe Marc (who sang the song originally) can sing anything and blow the original out of the water, there's something about Jason's (who sings this version) voice that hits me like no other. But Marc is far from absent on this version, and I happen to like him better on this version than the original. There's so much conviction in his voice at the end. This is the song that is hardest for me to sing along with, because so much of the time, my throat closes up and seems to lose all ability to make sound.

There aren't any songs about Santa on this album, or tales of hurried shoppers, and that is what I like the best. Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year, but it is so often spoiled for me by all the flashy, marginal, unimportant things. Downhere has crafted an album that, with every song, directs your attention back to Jesus, whom without we would not have this widely cherished holiday, and unlike what happens with most Christmas albums I listen to, I find myself becoming more in awe of him after every listen.

Keep up the good work, guys.

2 comments:

  1. I want them to come caroling to my house too. I'm sure they could make a little trip up to Wisconsin on their way back up to Canada...lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Emily! Thanks for taking the time to do this...

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.