Sunday, September 20, 2009

I had a speech dream. Or two.

I've often wondered if my dreams had any significance. Most of them have been either so epic, so bizarre, or both, that it would seem like there would be some kind of meaning. On top of that, I dream so frequently, my mind tends to think that there must be some purpose in something that happens so often.

But try as I might, I haven't been able to come up with anything. I have written down journals full of dreams, made careful mental notes trying to recognize a possible pattern that may resemble real life, and the only thing I've been able to notice is that often the subjects of my dreams are things on my mind when I go to sleep. But that's obvious and to be expected. I can't gather any deeper meaning out of that.

But things changed recently. This semester I am taking Fundamentals of Communication, which is essentially a speech class. We had to give a short introductory speech the second week of class. Overwhelmed procrastinator that I am, I was going to bed two days before I had to give the speech, and I kept repeating in my mind "I have got to write that speech tomorrow." I had a very vague idea of what I was going to say, but no details and no structure. That night, I dreamed that I was writing my speech, and when I got up the next day, I knew most of the details of what I was going to say, and how I was going to structure it all. All thanks to my dream. If only I could do that with all of my other homework assignments.

I'm gearing up for another speech, and by this past Friday I was supposed to have my topic e-mailed to my professor. Friday night I went to bed thinking, "Tomorrow I must focus and find a topic for this speech." I woke up the next morning, remembering what I had just dreamed, and I thought, "That's my speech topic."

So for the first time in my life, twice in a short period of time, both relating to a speech I have to give, my dreams have had some purpose. It's neat and little strange all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.