Thursday, August 27, 2009

Was this such a good idea after all?

What am I thinking? Am I crazy? I mean...I live on a highway. It's not a big highway, but it's still a highway! If someone's not paying attention, they could hit me! And I'm going to do this everyday? Or at least most everyday? I must be insane.

These were just a few of the thoughts running through my head as I rode my bike to and from MTSU today. It's amazing what I'll do in the name of saving money.

I don't know exactly how far it is from here to there, but I'm pretty sure that roundtrip I ended up riding further than I've ever ridden in my life. Exercise has never been a priority. I'm just never interested. There are a million and one things to do in life, and most them have taken higher priority than exercising. I always do try to think of ways to incorporate a little exercise into everything I do, like climbing stairs instead of using an elevator, but to just exercise for the sake of exercising, while doing nothing else, has not been something I've made a point to do very often. So obviously, I'm not in very good shape. I never have been. Which makes this undertaking that much more of a big deal.

But like I said, I'm not opposed to exercising if I'm accomplishing something else. Like getting to school. And the idea of saving money is also attractive. So despite the grueling experience today, I still intend to ride to school and back as often as I can. I definitely don't want to when the weather is bad. And it's not going to be a good idea once it gets cold, but fortunately I live in the South. So this'll last until October, maybe even early November. And on the days when my first class is at 8:00, I'm going to need to leave by at least 7:30. Which doesn't look appealing. So if I'm extra tired, I may just wimp out and decide to drive. But hopefully over the next few months, I'll make it most everyday.

There's also a recently developed added bonus that I did not consider when I first got this crazy idea. I did think it might be nice for my car to be available for someone to use while I was gone, just in case, because we've been sharing two vehicles between four people going in different directions, but as of today, it is definite that my brother is going to need the car everyday. Because he's going to MTSU, too!! I helped him register this morning! We probably will ride together sometimes, but it worked out that our schedules are completely different. So most of the time when he needs to be on campus, I won't, and when I need to be there, he won't. I think we have one class that overlaps. So it will be nice if we have separate modes of transportation. I'd offer to let him borrow the bike every once in a while, but he's not as crazy as I am. :-)

So there we have it. I'm certifiably insane. Wish me luck. Pray for me. Laugh at me. Make bets on whether I'll pass out. Whatever you feel like doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.