Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New and exciting!

Sometime this spring, late April, I think, the pastor of my and my family's church asked my brother if he would lead the youth. He's definitely passionate about that age group, so after praying about it and getting confirmation from God, he agreed to take the job. (Saying "job" makes it seem like he's officially employed and drawing a salary. He's not.)

Our church is young, and until my pastor started talking to my brother, there was really no ministry specifically for the youth. So he's starting this thing from the ground up. Our pastor - and my brother - were eager to get things rolling immediately. The only problem was summer was rapidly approaching. And as busy as I was this summer, my brother was 10 times busier. So despite being eager, my brother told my pastor that really getting much of anything started would have to wait.

But now the busy summer is over. Which means my brother, when he's not working, is busy thinking and planning. And since I'm his sister, we get along and work well together, and because I am willing and feel that God has me in a special place at this time to connect with these kids, I'm helping him. I'm a part of the youth leading team! And I'm excited!

We had a brief meeting tonight and we also got together with them a couple of times over the summer, just to kinda talk through things, tell them what we're thinking, get some feedback from them and all that jazz. Our official kick-off extravaganza is next Wednesday, August 26th! It's going to be a ton of fun!

I've already said it, but this is exciting! I've never done anything like this before! I've worked with youth before, but not in this setting. It's mostly been at church camp, where I'm with them day and night for like a week in the summer and that's it. I may talk to some of them on Facebook, but I'm not really a part of their lives on a regular basis. I started working a little bit with the youth at my last church, but I ended up leaving before I was able to get really involved. I'm very eager to jump into this new experience!

More than that, to be honest, I'm elated to simply be doing something in the area of ministry, whatever it may be. I used to sing pretty often at the last couple of churches I was a part of, but since coming this church, I haven't done much but show up. And for someone who always likes to be doing something, that gets old really quickly. Not only that, I'm pretty sure there are countless passages in the Bible that advocate, even command, serving the people around you. And I do try to make that a part of how I live, but it's nice when you can find something specific to do.

Like Troy and Gabrielle said, this is the start of something new for all of us, in many different ways, and at the risk of sounding redundant, new things are exciting! Thank you, Lord! And please guide us all, every step of the way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.