Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My misfit children.

In an effort to capture as many thoughts as I can, I write down things on a regular basis. If I have a specific plan for them, they could end up any number of purposeful places. My order-loving left brain won a battle with my erratic right brain a while ago, and it's winner's demands were that I categorize the colorful array that dances through my head and designate separate depositories for every category. With a minimum of eight notebooks/journals, it has worked well, and my right brain has complied. But the ease of submission has been helped by the fact that His Orderly Majesty was merciful, and did allow me to have one place that could be a catch-all for everything that refused to fit in a category.

That notebook has become one of my favorites. Its contents are all of the things that I don't know what to do with, but don't want to lose. As a misfit that has found a place with other misfits and has been cherished enough to not be left for lost, that notebook resides in an empathetic place in my heart.

So, like a proud mother, I present to you now a sample of what's in the quirky pages of my beloved. Why? Because that's what mothers do. Much of it is self-explanatory, but if you're reading these thoughts, and they don't make sense, don't panic. I'm aware that the chatter that happens in my head on a regular basis would likely be unintelligible to most if it was audible, and by writing it, I'm essentially making it audible. If anything you read below peaks your interest, and you want to understand more about it, just let me know and I will be happy to let you in on the joke. Or at least try to let you in. As with all jokes, some people just "get it" and others don't. (If you're reading this, that likely means you're my friend, and as my friend, that means you're probably cool (read "nerdy," "dorky," "geeky," or any other delightfully similar adjective) enough to "get it.")



"I appreciate having online conversations with people who don't take me seriously."

"My great aunt and uncle died last year and left us Febreeze."

"My mom and I are both eating close-to-midnight sandwiches. Mother-daughter bonding. But that looks like a weak bond. Maybe I should write it mother=daughter bonding."

"I've taken to sleeping with an array of books again. I'm taking that as evidence that my heart is alive."

"I appreciate living in a place where I can hear trains on a regular basis. There's a loneliness in the whistle that captures my sympathy whenever I hear it. But the train is also a reminder of other life being lived out in the world. Travel. Interaction. Non-loneliness. There's more and I long for more."

"Feminine clocks...clocks with fur coats..."

"It's weird/interesting knowing that I live in a house where druggies have been in before. Makes my life seem more interesting that it actually is."

"I'm grateful for friends who inspire the use of genuine exclamation points."

"I look like I'm wearing someone else's clothes. Someone else's larger clothes. If this shrinking keeps up, I won't be able to wear half the stuff in my closet."

"Fear me and my words of might!"

"1 Chronicles 1:10 reads, 'Cush became the father of Nimrod; he was the first to be a mighty one on the earth.'"

"What other people got from the Grammys: 'So-and-so won this many awards, Yay!'; 'What the heck was that?'; 'Is she for real?'; 'Oh, Whitney. We'll miss you, darling.' What I got from the Grammys: 'Milton Babbit died? Really?'"

"Due to a lack of vengeance, apparently I'm a disappointment."

"Often times, the best moments come unexpectedly. I hope I'm always ready to accept them and make the most of them while they're around."

"Editors are nasty? I suppose. Gentle editor, am I."

I also have a number of lists in the notebook, including but not limited to: "Things I Intend to Do When I Live Alone," "Disney Songs," "Emily's Favorite Things," "Songs for My Blog," "Harry Potter Discussion Topics for a Podcast," and "Skills I Have Which I Don't Want to Turn into a Full-Time Job."



Thank you, reader, for allowing me to be so self-indulgent.

1 comment:

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.