Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Letters from Africa.

I love getting mail from Africa. My insides get a little excited when I see an envelope with the characteristic stamps lining the top.

Why do I talk about getting mail from Africa like it's a common occurrence?

Because that's where Snethemba lives. South Africa, specifically. Snethemba is the girl I sponsor.

She's a delightful girl. Her birthday is next month and she'll be 16. She's very conscientious and caring and smart.

I got a letter from her today. It's enough to cheer even Ebeneezer Scrooge's heart (pre-spirits).

As much as I believe that what little I send to World Vision every month is making a big difference in Snethmba's life, as well as that of her family and her community, I think sponsoring has just as profoundly impacted my life, if not more. My heart is softer. My worldview is wider. My mindset has changed. My faith has grown. It has provided a wonderful opportunity to watch what God can do, and has made me more aware of what he is doing in the world every day.

I think I'm going to go read this latest letter a few more times. Next on the agenda will be to write one of my own. When I was a kid, I often dreamed of having a pen pal. I guess I got my wish.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome :) I now have 4 African 'pen pals'... I call them my children :)

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.