Monday, January 4, 2010

Why did it have to be so pretty?

I have been in Arkansas for 17 days. That's the better part of a month. I think it's time to go home.

The plans were to go home this morning. But the plans were changed. Snow came through, and we are woefully unprepared for snow in the South. The ground was covered and there was a few mentions of possible ice on the roads (...possible ice...not definite ice...) so making the trip was looking a little iffy. On top of that, I'm driving on a bad tire. Two bad tires, really, but one that's worse than the other. Also, my brother hurt his foot yesterday in some mysterious manner, and this morning it was feeling bad enough that he didn't want to be sitting in the car for hours on end. Taking all of those things into consideration along with the fact that there's no immediate rush to get home besides the fact that I just want to get there, and the weather is supposed to be a little better tomorrow, and a little after 9 AM it was decided that we would stay here another day.

I was less than pleased, to be honest. I always like my visits to Grandma's house, and it's been great to see all of the people I've been able to spend time with over the past 17 days, but I like my home. And it's been a while since I've seen my home. So when I looked out the window this morning and saw the white ground and more of this white stuff falling from the sky I said a word that I never say when I see snow: "Crud." This is probably the first time I've ever been disappointed to see snow and below freezing temps. Why did it have to be so pretty? It would have made my disappointment more complete.

It must have been complete enough, though, because as soon as I realized we weren't leaving, I went back to bed. I never do that. I may fall asleep on the couch or something, but it's never that early in the morning, nor is it upon a conscious decision to go to sleep. And I really went back to sleep. It was nearly 2 PM before I got back up. I obviously was not eager to engage in the day.

But I'll get over it. Tomorrow I am going home. The snow has melted. And they say it will get well above freezing. And my brother's foot is feeling better. Unless something else crops up, nothing is in our way. Thank the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you make it home safe and sound and get to enjoy all the comforts of that special place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for safe travels!! I miss home when I'm gone for a weekend. There is just something about sleeping in your own bed, being around your own things....

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.