Thursday, January 21, 2010

Overeager fingers.

In my approximate twenty-two years of life on this planet, I have come to this conclusion: it is hardly ever advisable to immediately react to something. (I almost said "never" rather than "hardly ever," but I have also come to the conclusion that it is rarely a good idea to speak in absolutes.)

Immediate reactions are often followed by trouble. Since there was no consideration put into the action before it was executed, it is often either the wrong thing to do, or at least not the best thing to do.

I suppress reactions all the time. People probably wouldn't guess that about me, but that just shows how diligently I work to stop them in their tracks. One of the areas of my life in which I have to stop myself from reacting most is blogging/posting on the Internet. It is natural to want to let out strong feelings immediately upon feeling them. Particularly negative ones. Few people want to hold onto negative feelings. Since I spend much of my time communicating on the Internet, and have fostered a habit of blogging the things I am thinking about, my knee-jerk reaction is to start laying everything out on my computer screen.

Not a good idea. It's understandable if someone in your physical presence loses themselves in front of you, but still, being emotional in person is bad enough. It's rather embarrassing to be emotional online. In order for the people reading the emotional comments you make online to be able to read those said comments, you first have to take the time to write them. And then publish them. So it's much more intentional than simply blowing a fuse, or letting slip a few words of complaint in the midst of a situation that is less than ideal.

Think before you speak. Look before you leap. There is experience behind those words. We should all learn from experience.

3 comments:

  1. That's like texting. You can't tell the tone of a person's voice by what they are typing in 160 characters. And sometimes you think you understand a person on what they wrote, but then you are unsure of the tone. IT's really hard to read sometimes. I'm guilty of using LOL too often so people know that I am joking around. Or the smiley face. GUH. It's hard for me to stop using that in almost every post or twitter I do....I almost did it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling all too well. I have tried very, very hard to break myself of that habit. It's difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is the brain science behind what you're talking about. This is important stuff- and it's huge in pop psychology and self-improvement.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM3cXZ7CFls&feature=PlayList&p=426A04ED29B1921C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.