Thursday, June 11, 2009

Packing observations.

My bed has been covered in clothes for the past two days. (And yes, I've been sleeping, however little it may be. I've been uncovering it to go to bed, and then recovering it as soon as I get up the next morning.) In analyzing this fact, I've noticed a few things.

1.) I've been going to this camp for a really long time. And no, I didn't just realize that today. I know that I've been going there a long time, but it just hit me exactly how long I've been going. The first time I set foot there was over 20 years ago. Wow. What triggered this thought was my t-shirts. I was evaluating all the shirts I've gotten there over the years, and I have one for every day I'm going to be there and then some. Which brings to my next point...

2.) I pack a lot. Clothes, particularly, but I pack a lot in general. Every summer, I move in. I'm only there for two weeks, but you'd think I'm going to be there a lot longer. But there are reasons for that, and not just that I can't bear to live without my stuff. Sometimes, I end up going through three outfits a day, so that explains all the clothes. And the number of pairs shoes I take is insane, but it's because I have this thing about matching. So all of my shoes always match my clothes. More than that, I'm an expert camper. I know the routine, I know what people tend to forget, know what they didn't expect to need, so I bring all kinds of extra stuff "just in case." And it's been very helpful over the years. And all this leads into my last point....

3.) That place really is like home. I daresay I feel more at home there than I do at my own house, in which I am sitting now, writing this. That happens when a place has been a part of your life for two decades. Especially for someone like me, who lived in a new place every time she turned around, and so that camp and my grandma's house have been really the only two constant places in my life. So even more than me knowing what I'll need, that would explain me moving in every year. I feel comfortable enough to plant roots when I get there. Even if they're only temporary.

I can't wait to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.