Monday, June 8, 2009

The next three weeks.

I realized today that my blog has been neglected for over a week. This is unacceptable. My excuse is that I've been spending an unusual amount of time away from my computer. And when I have gotten online every night this week, after I check Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, etc., I've been too exhausted to even think of anything to write.

Also today, in thinking about all the things I have to do this week, I realized that tonight is the only night this week on which I don't have anything planned.

So, considering those two things, I figured that tonight was the best night to get back to blogging, because who knows if I'll be able to the rest of the week and....

Saturday I'm going out of town! For two weeks! Which means I won't be on the Internet for a little while. But I'm going to be too busy to notice. It's church camp season again! One of the highlights of my every year.

And what's not to like? Hard, uncomfortable, plastic beds; Arkansas heat and humidity; concrete dorms lacking air-conditioning; cold showers with little to no water pressure; getting flashed about a dozen times a day; helping little girls find their clothes during the junior week; dealing with teenage drama during the senior week; cleaning mess after mess; going and going and going from the time I get up in the morning to the time I go to bed. Pure bliss. Not really.

No, that's not why I go to camp. Nor why I look forward to it. I look forward to all the great people I get to work with, people whom I have known for years, grew up with, and count among my closest friends; spending time with the kids, who, even considering how they can try your patience, still bring me joy; all the fun I get to have in the name of entertaining the campers; watching campers meet God for the first time; watching staff members, including me, be just as touched as all the campers. That's the good stuff.

This week, along with the other miscellaneous things I have to do, is dedicated to preparing myself for all that goodness (and not-so-goodness). It's only Monday, and I'm already exhausted, which does not bode well for how I will get through the next two weeks. I told my friend Kaitlyn over on Jason Gray's message boards that she would get through her church camp venture this summer on adrenaline and the Holy Spirit. And I'm having to remind myself of that. And remind myself that it's only two weeks and some people do it for two months!

Despite how tired I feel, I'm still inexpressibly excited! I always am. This week can't pass fast enough. Well...maybe it can...I have a lot to do, and I can only do so much at one time....

1 comment:

  1. yay! Have fun at camp. I hated Girl Scout Camp when I was younger (they had to call my mom to come pick me up after only two days!), but I loved 4-H camp!

    Have fun and we will miss you! But I'll see you in a month anyway!!

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.