Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1st, 2011.

I just wrote this in my journal. It's presented here with the same formatting that I use in my journal, which is no formatting.


It's May 1st, 2011. Big news just hit the public media. Osama Bin Laden is dead and the U.S. has his body. Please, tell me I'm not the only one crying. I do not condone all of the horrors that were instigated by him. It's appalling the evil that can be traced back to one man. But he's still a man. It's natural for loss of life to be grieved. I think what saddens me more, though, is how so many people in the world have reacted. There are people celebrating in the streets. I am trying very hard to not lapse into ill-placed judgment. I do understand why people rejoice. Terrible things have happened and any triumph over a source of evil is understandably something to celebrate. But it seems to me callous to let loose with wild mirth when a person has been hunted and killed. Situations like this are so hard. This is why I'm not in the military or involved in government. I can't. Being a human, with a limited perspective and understanding, it's hard for me to imagine anyone who can with good conscience. But I know there are things I don't understand and never will. And I pray to the God who has everything confined in his hands and trust that Jesus will make truth known. We're all called to different lives. I don't discount that a step has been taken toward making the world a safer place. But right now, I really want to know that I'm not the only one sitting alone, weeping.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I hate that people are celebrating in the streets.

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.