Monday, October 25, 2010

A brief acknowledgement and gesture of gratitude.

I've been thinking a lot about the church.

The church is one of my favorite things.

And I don't mean going to church. I'm not talking about a place. Or something you do. I mean people. The body of Christ. All of us, everywhere around the world. It's truly remarkable.

Why? Because Jesus is remarkable. And that's what the body of Christ is supposed to be, Jesus. We are Jesus to each other, to the world.

That's how Jesus is present physically in the world today. Through people who go out and live their lives for him.

Quite often, we people who align ourselves with Christ don't do a very good job of representing who he is. So for many people, a lot of baggage comes with the word "church." That's one of the saddest realities I know. I understand how easy it can be to become bitter and cynical. But I thank God that I have met genuine people who have shown and continue to show Christ in the way they live their lives.

When the church is what it's supposed to be, it's one of the coolest, most beautiful things you will ever see. Because Jesus is evident, and he's what it's all about.

Without the church, my life would not be what it is today. I would not be who I am today. I feel blessed and humbled to know and be a part of it.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I like what is the "church" better than the church itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen :-) I was so excited about the message and how it fit with the events of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I like conversation. Your comments promote conversation. You know what to do. Vielen Dank.